Project Delivery Excellence for Public Agencies
Program Format: Live/Instructor-Led
Program Length: Two Days
Avg. Attendee Rating: 4.8/5.0
Program Date and Location: No programs open for registration
PSMJ's Project Delivery Excellence For Public Agencies focuses on simple project management approaches that achieve better results than traditional, less-effective, more time-consuming methods. This program will provide you with the tools to more efficiently manage multiple projects while controlling the schedule and budget and the changes that inevitably happen. Our project management protocols focus exclusively on the public works environment and issues that specifically hit the public sector on a daily basis.
WORKSHOP DETAILSIn recent years, Public Works Project Managers have become largely dependent on consultants to plan, design, and deliver public works projects. While consultants are providing design support, the Public Works Project Manager remains ultimately responsible for the outcome. Accordingly, there are a number of skills, techniques and background knowledge that the savvy Public Works Project Manager must learn and ultimately master. These are presented in this two-day information-packed workshop:
• What it means to be a Project Manager in a public works environment
• The differences in business model and operational boundaries between the private- and public-sector engineer
• Time management for the Public Works Project Manager
• How to properly scope a project
• Using the scoped project, how to develop a budget and schedule
• Three key considerations to select the proper consultant
• How to negotiate a fair and justifiable price
• Common reasons projects fail (go over budget or get delayed) and how to avoid them
• Project risk analysis and management
• How to track project costs versus progress
• Recognizing and managing change
• Project quality review techniques and when to claim against the consultant
• Releasing projects for construction
• Managing the construction and avoiding claims
• Closing the project out and the after-action review
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Everyone from experienced Public Works Project Managers to newly-minted ones get value out of this Bootcamp. Attendees include individuals interested in improving their project management skills as well as teams of Project Managers sent by A/E/C public works firms seeking an competitive edge in project management.
DATE AND LOCATION
Click here to see full agenda.
Julia Ellegood brings over twenty-two years of technical communications expertise to the project management training effort. Her experience ranges from the technical writing of long span bridge failure reports, through the writing and development of environmental documents, development and execution of public involvement programs, often on contentious projects, and the facilitation of construction partnering meetings. She is co-developer, editor and a presenter of PSMJ’s Project Delivery Excellence for Public Agencies – a two-day seminar focused exclusively on the challenges associated with managing projects in the public sector.
Michael Ellegood, P.E. Michael has over 50 years of experience in civil engineering, including significant experience in design and management of multi-million dollar public works projects. He has held senior management positions with leading consulting engineering firms and public sector agencies. Mike leads PSMJ’s Project Delivery Excellence for Public Agencies and his passion lies with improving public-sector project delivery, especially in the field of infrastructure.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
This Bootcamp is AIA CES-registered to provide this content. This Bootcamp earns you up to 13 LU Hours, CEUs, or PDHs. Not all state and licensing boards accept these programs for learning units. PSMJ is a registered provider with the Florida Board of Professional Engineers (provider #0007694). PSMJ is a registered provider with the Florida Board of Landscape Architects (provider #0002844 course #0007693). For more information, please contact our education team at (617) 965-0055 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day 1 - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Day 2 - 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?