A/E/C Ownership & Leadership Transition Roundtable
Program Format: Live/Instructor-Led
Program Length: Two Days
Avg. Attendee Rating: 4.8/5.0
Registration Status: Open (See Upcoming Dates Below)
“What a great course! I feel inspired to go forth and create the transition we want!”
- Liza Prunuske, President, Prunuske Chatham
Time and time again, PSMJ research shows that transition planning is one of the biggest long-term challenges facing A/E/C firm leaders. Many are struggling to answer the question of who will run their firm tomorrow.
But, instead of taking action to develop and implement a proven transition plan, too many firm leaders are putting it off...instead staying focused on near-term client demands, keeping backlog high, and other day-to-day priorities. However, ignoring transition planning puts the firm's capitalization, clients, and employees in great jeopardy...to say nothing of the evaporating shareholder value that is a near certainty.
ACTUAL Transition Planning Mistakes Made By The Ill-Prepared
For more than 40 years, PSMJ's transition planning experts have been helping A/E/C firm leaders to avoid the land mines and capitalize on the proven strategies that work to manage affordability, leadership development, and all of the other facets of this complex challenge. Many of these ACTUAL transition planning mistakes that we've helped to fix or manage likely seemed innocuous at the time, but the impact was severe.
Here are some of the most common...and most damaging:
1. Relied on a poorly-written buy/sell agreement and ended up financing three competitors launched by former Principals.
2. Failed to correctly plan for stock redemption liabilities and created a “bubble” that nearly bankrupt the company.
3. Used an ESOP as a place to “dump stock” and the result was that owner worked ten years longer than she wanted to.
4. Sold the company to an ill-prepared next generation and ended up having to re-join firm to stand any chance of getting his note paid.
5. Created poorly-structured transactions that created huge unexpected tax liabilities for incoming owners.
6. Used equity-based incentive compensation to finance transition and inadvertently created a major capitalization problem.
7. Relied on general legal counsel to draft elaborate transition plan that ended up being of zero interest to any incoming owners.
How do you avoid mistakes like these? The answer is actually quite simple. You just need to take advantage of the learned knowledge and experience from those who have been there before you. Thousands and thousands of A/E/C firms have gone through ownership and leadership transition over the years. Why would you attempt to write your transition planning starting with a blank sheet of paper?
This program packs more than 40 years of transition planning experience with A/E/C firms of all shapes and sizes into two days. It also breaks down a complex and dynamic process into clear steps that you can begin implementing immediately...while also running a successful business!
UPCOMING 2017 DATES/LOCATIONS
Our early-bird pricing makes it easy to save a few bucks on your registration and reserve a spot before a program fills up. Here's how it works:
- When you register 30 or more days before a program date, you SAVE $100!
Our interactive Roundtable format – with smaller groups and more open discussion – is designed to cover the issues that matter most to you. But, if you are looking for an experienced more tailored to you and your organization where your entire leadership team can get on the same page, check out our in-house training program options here.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
This Roundtable is AIA CES-registered to provide this content. This Roundtable earns you up to 13 LU Hours, CEUs, or PDHs. Not all state and licensing boards accept these programs for learning units. PSMJ is a registered provider with the Florida Board of Professional Engineers (provider #0007694). PSMJ is a registered provider with the Florida Board of Landscape Architects (provider #0002844 course #0007693). For more information, please contact our education team at (617) 965-0055 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day 1 - 8:30am - 5:00pm
Day 2 - 8:00am - 3:30pm
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
A block of sleeping rooms is reserved for PSMJ Roundtable attendees at each location. To secure our negotiated group rate, please make your hotel reservation (not included with your Roundtable registration fee) before the cut-off date and be sure to mention that you are attending PSMJ's A/E/C Ownership & Leadership Transition Roundtable. Complete hotel information, including room rates and cut-off dates, can be found here.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Do you have any questions about this Roundtable? Contact our education team at (617) 965-0055 or email@example.com.